Thursday, December 12, 2013

Second Mock Interview

My second interview did not go as well as my first sadly, but I learned a lot about myself and what I need to work on so I still consider it an invaluable experience. It seems that the typical open ended interview questions cause me to freeze up, and my discomfort is actually noticeable. Obviously this is a bad thing to have, but now that I know about it I can work towards fixing it. I plan on looking at common interview questions, and think on what my answers could be; this way I'm not going in to interviews cold and hopefully won't freeze up when asked. I also am going to keep practicing interviews so that I can get more experience hearing the questions from others too.

Eye contact is also an issue with me, again when I'm being asked questions. I have a tendency to look down and away, so that's something that I need to work on as well. Same plan as the other, get practice in, remember to maintain eye contact when questions are being asked, and if I need some time to think on an answer let them know that I just want to think on the question for one second. I also learned a nice trick from my interviewer, which is to look at the top of the ear; it looks as though I'm maintaining eye contact, but I don't feel as uncomfortable as I sometimes do by not knowing where to look for eye contact.

I also had an email this morning for an internship I applied to with my updated resume with a design test that I need to do and get back to them, so my activity has already helped to get me further than I was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment