Wednesday, December 4, 2013

First Practice Interview

While this was supposed to have happened last week, all of my previous interviews were either cancelled or rescheduled by the interviewer. However, I finally had my first practice interview yesterday afternoon. I got some very valuable information about my resume and how I present myself.

I'm happy to say that I didn't completely blow it. I payed attention to what was happening, and more than just answer the questions I was given I asked my own questions to make sure I had as much information as I could think of before answering. While I felt, and my interviewer agreed, that I presented myself fairly well, there are still things I need to work on during an interview, not the least of which is what my body language is saying about me. I had a hard time sitting and looking attentive while also being personally comfortable, typically moving too much. I think I may have simply been too self conscious about the subject and so always thought I was either looking too casual or too stiff and could never decide, but whatever the reason it is something I need to work on.

I also received good feedback on my resume, and my interviewer was nice enough to allow me to look at their own. The first thing I noticed was the brevity of theirs; using the same amount of room for Skills, they had three times the amount of information that I did. They also took much less time explaining what the projects were and instead explained specifically what they did on the project, which is something that I next plan to incorporate into my own resume and will likely be the next subject of my next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment